JAN 27 4:15 PM (VIETNAM) NHI HA SCHOOL AND BATTLE MONUMENT

 I arrived at my hotel in Dong Ha at 10 AM Thursday, checked into my room, and promptly fell asleep. But, it was a brief snooze, as Nhung of D.O.V.E. Fund would be picking me up promptly at 1:30 PM.  We would drive about 25 minutes north to the village of Nhi Ha, where I would be visiting the school. During the war, my unit fought a 16-day meat-grinder battle at that location. In fact, the school is located right in what was then our entrenched position. It's a sobering place for me.

NVA Artillery Pounding Our Position- Jones Creek in Foreground

 
Airstrikes- From My Foxhole  May 3

May 6   A Co Very Heavy Casualties

But, that was then and this is now. And my focus is helping the children of that village. Helping and healing. On arrival, the children were assembled and ready. 

 


As planned, Nhung had positioned the items to be distributed at the school in advance, so we were all ready to go. But, first there were beautiful singing performances, individually, by three students. They really make one feel welcome, that's for sure.

Then it was time to get to work. I had 2,800 writing tablets to distribute, one student at a time. They are all so well-mannered, polite, and friendly. Each and every student looked me in the eyes, saying "thank you" in either English or Vietnamese. It's refreshing and heartwarming.



 

Mission accomplished! It was cool, breezy day, but the kids were very patient.


 
 

We also donated a computer for the school office.

 

With the Principal

And we had a short question and answer session. It was a most enjoyable interaction !


 The students expressed their gratitude.


 Before departing, Nhung and I had tea with the school principal.



 We stopped at the May 6 war monument, located on the site of my company's (1st and 3rd platoons) battled with Col. Tha's 300 NVA soldiers.

 

When walking towards the monument, I was startled by an exclamation from a caretaker, who was raking and grooming the grounds. After disappearing into a small building behind the monument, she reappeared with something in her hand. Well, she had recognized me. In her hand was a photo of Col. Tha, commander of the 300 NVA on May 6, with me. If that wasn't surprising enough, she also had a photo of Bill Baird, my platoon comrade, who was captured by Col Tha in that battle. Bill was held for 5 1/2 years at the Hanoi Hilton. She said that Tha had given the photos to her to keep at the monument. I have no idea where he obtained the photo of Baird. By the way, Baird's squad and mine switched positions when advancing towards the enemy that day and that made all the difference in the world. 


With the Monument Caretaker

Views from the monument:


Looking Towards Our Dug-In Position Prior To Moving Into Nhi Ha


Larry Haddock, My Squad Leader, At The Above Position

Approximate Location of NVA Bunkers As Viewed From Monument

Jones Creek,  The Cover of Which Saved My Squad's Butt on May 6


I can't seem to go to Nhi Ha without touching on the battles that my guys fought there. I just can't leave that can of worms closed. But, I love helping the kids there and will be back. It's helpful and healing for all involved, including me. 


Thanks to Nhung for her valuable assistance and to all who generously support this humanitarian endeavor. I am eternally grateful.



 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jan 1, 2024 11:30 AM (Alaska) 2024 Humanitarian Program Preview

Jan 24 7:45 AM (VIETNAM) EYEGLASSES- QUANG PHU & HUONG VAN COMMUNES

FEB 25 5:30 PM (ALASKA) FEB 3- EYEGLASS/DENTAL PROGRAM AT HONG HA SCHOOL