JAN 28 7:30 PM (VIETNAM) LAC THIEN RESTAURANT

 Since 2015, I have always made it a point to stop at Lac Thien Restaurant here in Hue. It was founded in 1965 by a deaf mute and is a landmark of sorts. They always remember and greet me with a hug. Lac Thien is known for the bottle openers that they make and give to patrons.

With the Owner

With the Owner, A Deaf Mute

 In 2018 my daughter, granddaughter, and I went there and was told "Papa went to the moon." We walked upstairs to his altar to pay our respects. His daughters joined in making several bottle openers for us. I offered to pay, but they insisted that their papa would not approve of taking payment.

 

I really miss interacting with the owner, who had a great sense of humor.

Owner with Granddaughter

Today I walked from my hotel, across the Perfume River, and to the restaurant. I suppose that it's about a 25-minute jaunt if you stay right with it. One of the daughters rushed out to welcome me.

Today

She showed me a 1968 photo of the restaurant and surrounding area, which is located very near to The Citadel. That area saw intense fighting during the '68 Tet offensive.

 


No trip to Hue is complete without a visit to Lac Thien! It's a great place!






Comments

  1. This is Tien Nguyen from California, USA. I am a friend of Connie who introduces your volunteer work to me. I will be in Vietnam from Feb 28 to Mar 26, 2024. During this time, I will be a volunteer for the www.ivhq.org from Mar 3-9, 2024. My contact phone is: 714-653-0821, kbwme2006@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tien_VolunteerFebruary 15, 2024 at 12:48 PM
    This is Tien Nguyen from California, USA. I am a friend of Connie who introduces your volunteer work to me. I will be in Vietnam from Feb 28 to Mar 26, 2024. During this time, I will be a volunteer for the www.ivhq.org from Mar 3-9, 2024. My contact phone is: 714-653-0821, kbwme2006@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jan 1, 2024 11:30 AM (Alaska) 2024 Humanitarian Program Preview

Jan 24 7:45 AM (VIETNAM) EYEGLASSES- QUANG PHU & HUONG VAN COMMUNES

FEB 25 5:30 PM (ALASKA) FEB 3- EYEGLASS/DENTAL PROGRAM AT HONG HA SCHOOL